Best Response - How do I opt-out of medical and dental insurance?

How do I opt-out of medical and dental fees?

The Student Medical/Health Plan fee included in tuition is a universal non-refundable fee, which was voted in via student referendum. If you have other coverage, you can submit outstanding balances to your other plan for consideration; this is called “Co-ordination of Benefits”.

To opt out of the Student Dental Plan, you need to complete a dental waiver form. You can do this online or manually. To do so online please visit our website To submit your waiver manually, please submit it with proof of comparable coverage to the Student Benefit Plan Office before the deadline (see website).  Acceptable proof of coverage can be in the form of a benefits card showing the student’s name and confirmation of dental coverage, a letter from an employer, or an explanation of benefits (EOB) from a recently paid dental claim from the existing insurer. Dental waiver forms can be downloaded at You only need to opt out once; it will not be billed to your tuition in future years. Refund cheques will be available to pick up at the Student Benefit Office approximately 8 weeks after classes start.

For more information contact:

Student Service Coordinator
Student Benefits Plan Office
Level 1, University Centre, Room 108A
University of Guelph
Guelph, ON
N1G 2W1
Phone: 519-824-4120 X54798
Fax: 519-829-2843

How well did this response answer your question?
If you still need more information then you can email AskGryph using the link below.
powered by IntelliResponse
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1