Best Response - What financial aid is available to students?

What financial aid is available to students?

In addition to scholarships, a variety of bursaries, loans, and financial aid are available for University of Guelph students. You may check out the Student Financial Services website for more details. You can also read about the financial aid options for the summer semester.

Ontario Government Loans:

Students can apply to the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) on the Government's OSAP website. An assessment showing the amount of OSAP you are eligible to receive will be displayed in 24-48 hours after you submit your completed application.

OSAP for full-time students: you must be registered in at least 60% of a full course load (1.50 credits) or 40% of a full course load (1.00 credits) if you have a permanent disability to receive OSAP for full-time students. For students studying in the summer semester, you should read more about summer OSAP requirements. Please note that co-op work term credits are not included when calculating course load for OSAP purposes.

Part-Time OSAP: students with less than a 60% course load may apply for part-time OSAP funding. The application is available on the OSAP website.

OSAP has a standard way of calculating your financial need, based on family size and family income. However, your situation may not be standard and the money you receive may not cover all of your expenses. You may appeal, if you feel that:

  • your family's resources and/or income has changed
  • there has been a serious breakdown in the relationship with your family and you cannot access the information from your parents that is needed to fill out your OSAP application form
  • you were not able to work and have not saved your required student contribution from your summer income
  • the OSAP assessment assumes you are living at home because your parents live within 30 km of the University, but you are living away from home and need to change your OSAP living allowance

You may search for appeal forms on the OSAP website or contact the financial aid office by phone at: (519)-824-4120 ext. 58715, or by email at:

Out-of-Province Students:

  • If you are a resident of one of the other Canadian provinces or territories, you must apply through your home province for financial aid. If you have questions about your residency status, please contact us. See the list of Out-of-Province student aid websites.


  • The University offers a variety of bursaries for eligible students with a demonstrated need. Bursaries are normally assessed in the fall semester and distributed early in the winter semester. If a student has a financial shortfall, a medical expense that isn't covered under any insurance plan, or other government program, or is experiencing financial pressures due to an emergency, a University of Guelph bursary may be the answer to the problem. A bursary application form is required.
How well did this response answer your question?
powered by IntelliResponse